For the Love of Weaving

As I sit at my loom weaving I am entranced by the rhythm of the back and forth movement of the shuttle that trails a colorful weft. My feet push the pedals in an up and down motion, prompting the harnesses to move. I weave to create beautiful and functional fabrics that can be used by others. These weavings focus on pattern and color. My inspiration is found in the things around me ñ the different blues you see when looking out over the ocean or a lake; the bright reds, oranges, and browns you see as autumn comes and the leaves begin to fall; the brightness of a sunny spring day and the bright green of the grass and colors of the emerging flowers. These combine within the cloth and interact with one another, creating a symbiotic relationship between these intense, saturated colors that I dye. The patterns I choose for the woven structure are intended to create integrity within the fabric. I want these fabrics to withstand the test of time and their structures are designed to withstand being worn on the body. I am drawn to undulating, echo weaves that create a sense of vibration through color interaction and pattern. The moment one of my weavings comes off the loom and I can touch it, fold it, iron it, wash it ñ it becomes a piece of art that I want others to experience and be able to interact with. For this reason I focus mainly on the shawl format so the cloth can be worn and these weavings can serve a purpose by bringing joy to the lives of others.



Enwrapped In Color

Enwrapped In Color
Shawl Format Color and Pattern Interaction and Integration

Monday, October 18, 2010

Summer Of Love

For the last couple months I have been taking time to look back upon my experiences at the Kansas City Art Institute and re-evaluate from here what direction I need to be going in my life. Knowns: I want to teach. I want to continue with my art. I want to be happy. I want to share my art and the my love of weaving with others. As the seasons change and fall is upon us, I am once again inspired by the reds, the oranges, the vibrant yellows and the subtle browns and purples that surround us. With less equipment, no deadlines, and working, I need to approach my art in a whole different way. Today I vow to sit at the loom and meditate on how to create vibrant, unique, and enriching textiles with much less than I had access to a year ago today. I believe in myself and in my skills, and for this I appreciate my college experience at KCAI more than I can express. I thank everyone who has supported me, and am thankful for each new day. What will start as a simple cream on cream scarf, I will push myself to make into something innovative. This will be just another venture along the way. One Two One Two. Back in action. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment